Sunday, October 17, 2010

Frugal = Stingy?

Whenever I spend, I always ask myself a question: Is it my need or want?  Is it worth for me to spend my valued money?  Most of the time, my answer will lead me to avoid no-value spending.  I believe this is the reason why I often heard from my friend who let the others know that I am a stingy person.  Or, am I?
Some of my friends prefer to spend their weekend at karaoke and ask me to come along and join them.  Well, I agree that right amount of entertainment and relaxation will make my life more healthier after a week of hard work.  However, to me, the right amount might mean value creation as well.  So, I might opt for once a month to karaoke instead of weekly while spending my other weekends and money on other value creation activities like reading as well as family gathering.

Therefore, being frugal is being thrifty.  It is not an attitude on not spending every single cent BUT knows exactly what he/she is possessing and wisely use every single cent on his/her needs.  In other words, frugality means we are enjoying what we have.  If we do not enjoy what we have, it can be defined as waste no matter how much luxurious possession we have.

Frugal people get value from everything.  So, start now, think seriously whether you are enjoying the thing you possess, buy and the value they created for you.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with ya. Being Frugal is not being stingy. Different people have different spending patterns. So your friends can't say that you are stingy if you don't join them at Karaoke because that is not your cup of tea. I am sure you spend your money on other things as well which they dont? ^^

    I spend most of my money on eating! haha

    ReplyDelete

Comments