Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Money Management: Is Branded Equals To Extravagant?

Four years ago, I bought a vacuum cleaner from an electrical shop. To be frugal, I requested the lady boss to recommend more economical model. She suggested to a XXX brand which I never heard before and she claimed that many of her customers have been using that model without problem. Therefore, I bought one.

Within half a year, the cleaner totally broke down after using it for 2 times only. Since it is within warranty period, I send it back to the electrical shop for repair. They took 4 month to get the cleaner fixed but it broke down again 3 months later after it was repaired. Since the warranty period has over, I went to another electrical shop to buy another “branded” one. It is still totally functioning now after 3 years of purchase.

Here is another story. To save more, I once bought my leather shoes at a hypermarket. However, it totally worn up 5 days after. Therefore, I spent $200 to buy a branded leather shoes and I am still wearing it now 4 years after.

I am not encouraging for buying branded goods but we should learn how to become a smart consumer. Under certain circumstances, living frugally might end up to lose more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments